Au Beau Séjour Preschool provides a challenging education inspired by the Education National curriculum in France.
Each month, we will present activities that will help enhance “language and reading”, “pre writing, “math and Perception”, “discovery of the world through Art/Painting”, cooking, gross motor skills activities, music & movement, songs, yoga and, Social Emotional Learning.
September: Back to School & Our emotions / C’est la rentrée & Nos émotions
This month, we will get to know one another. We will learn a few aspects of living together, such as sharing, respecting and trusting each other. Working, playing together and making new friends will be practiced daily! Young children's self-esteem and self-identity blossom as we encourage them, and their self-awareness develops. This theme will help also help ease separation anxiety.
We will discover our new environment together. We will learn how to follow rules and how to feel comfortable and happy at ABS! In French we call this theme: “Vivre ensemble”.
· On Monday, September 16th, “Back to School Meeting” from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm. It is a great occasion to get to know your child’s teacher, all ABS Staff and our APM policies procedures and curriculum! Will be presented Please do not bring your child/ren, it is a very important time for adults.
· ABS will be closed on Monday, September 2nd: Labor Day.
October: Halloween and Nutrition through “Tasting week”/ Halloween et la Nutrition à travers la semaine du goût.
Through the theme of this month, we will have a lot of fun making crafts around Halloween and its tradition. Children will learn about Nutrition vs junk food. La semaine du Gout will be organized by our ABS Teachers for all our students from October 7th through 10th.
· We will organize an event with parents (potluck) such as “Wine and Cheese Tasting” with good bread on Thursday 10th at 4:00 pm. (Water and juice will be provided for our students) All our ABS Community will be able to meet each other! Everybody is invited, even if your child does not attend school that day.
· Let’s organize a Halloween Party for children on Wednesday, October 30th and Thursday, October 31st all day long!
· ABS School will be closed on Friday 11th: Teacher In-Service Day
· ABS School will be closed on Monday 14th: Columbus Day
November: All colors and Thanksgiving/ Toutes les couleurs et Thanksgiving.
Through this theme, we will learn what is the meaning of “Thanksgiving Celebration” (of giving).
Children will observe different textures, and learn how to make new colors from primary colors. We will have a lot of fun mixing them and see which new color we can make from two primary colors!
· ABS School will be closed on From Wednesday, November 27th to 29th: Thanksgiving Break
December: December Holidays and transportations / Celebration de Décembre et les transports.
December is the is very exciting and Festive. We will have the opportunity to learn more about different traditional celebrations, and how people travel from place to place.
· We will organize on Friday, December 20th at 4:00 pm to 5:45 pm a Holiday Party with performance, music & dancing!
· ABS will be closed on Monday, December 23rd to January 3rd: Winter Break.
January: Winter Sport Activities & “The King’s Cake” / Les Sports d’hiver & la Galette des Rois
This month, we will learn about all the different kinds of winter sport activities, about snow. We will definitely use this theme through our Gross Motor skills activities! We will create art and have activities around “La Galette des Rois”…We will also make our own Galette des Rois…
· We will invite parents and will eat together our King cakes with some apple juice and cider on Friday, January 31st at 4:00 pm
· ABS will be closed on Monday, January 20th: Martin Luther King Day.
February: Family through Valentine's Day/ La famille à travers la St Valentin
Through this theme we will discuss “Valentine’s Day” through arts and crafts. But furthermore our students will learn What is exactly “a Family”? This theme provides a framework that will help students talk about their own and others’ families in a safe, caring ways. Our students will understand that families have different structures and compositions. They will talk about the idea that differences in family structures actually make for a richer community. Our students will also reflect on what makes their own families special and the diversity of families in the community.
· ABS will be closed from Monday, February 17th to Friday, February 29th : Break of President’s Day.
March: Spring Gardening & Butterflies / Jardinage du Printemps et les papillons
Springtime brings new colors, new smells, new noises. we will discover all these together. We will plant our garden; Learn how to do it and how seeds grow up. These two themes will make us to talk about Spring Season!
This month, our preschool classrooms will also set up for the butterfly theme. While we learn about the butterfly life cycle, we will have lots of hands-on learning activities offered throughout our classroom.
We will order caterpillars and observe them grow bigger and bigger, until they go into their chrysalis. When they emerge from their chrysalises as butterflies, it’s magical! We celebrate by taking them outside and releasing them, waving as they fly away.
· This month, ABS will organize a field trip. We will ask you parents to become a teacher for a day and accompany us to Oakland Zoo. (date to be determined)
April: Recycling & Earth Day -April 22nd- & Easter/ Recyclage & Earth Day -le 22 avril- & Paques
Exploring our Earth! Recycling is necessary, fun, and we will learn how to sort “garbage” together. Our community will help one another remember the importance of respecting our Earth.
· We will organize an Easter hunt with our students and their Parents on Friday, 10th of April at 3:45 pm. The hunt will be followed by an Easter Potluck.
· ABS will be closed on Monday, March 30th to Friday, April 3rd: Spring Break.
May: 5 senses (& Mother’s Day) / Les 5 sens (& La fête des mères)
The senses are the first and best resources for preschoolers to learn. The five senses help children explore the world and make sense of what’s around them. The Five Senses: Sight, smell, touch, hearing and taste. Babies learn about the world around them strictly through their senses. As preschoolers, our students have the comprehension; vocabulary and ability to learn even more through their senses.
Happy Mother’s Day….. we will express love and gratitude for our Moms.
We will not forget to celebrate Mothers! They will have their special day on May 10th!
· We may organize a ABS Picnic BBQ (Date has to be determined)
· ABS will be closed on Friday, May 22nd: Teacher In-Service Day.
· ABS will be closed on Monday, May 25th: Memorial Day.
June: Carnival (& Father’s Day) / Le Carnaval (& la fête des Pères)
Some of our students may have been to a Carnival- some may not have! Let’s bring some Carnival fun & excitement into our classrooms! Carnival is the most widespread meaning of this feast: to be someone different for a moment. children see at Carnival is illusion, costumes, colors, paintings, masks, dances, songs, and a lot of fun. Carnival is one of the best parties to celebrate with them and show them who or what they want to be.
We will not forget to celebrate Fathers, as they will have their special day coming on June 21st!
· We will organize a potluck to celebrate the End of the School Year Party with a performance, music & dancing on Thursday, June 30th at 10:30 am!
· Last of ABS Academic School Year 2019/2020: Tuesday, June 30th.
· First day of Summer Camp 2020: Monday, July 6th!